Somen is cool and airy, making it a great plant-based yarn for knitting and crocheting clothing and fashion items. Somen is made by combining recycled cotton with sustainably grown flax, creating a soft but strong thread. Textile waste is shredded and combined with linen fibers to create a cotton-linen yarn that is perfect for crafting summer clothes. Hoooked Somen is available in 14 beautiful earthy colors, so there is always a color or color combination that works for your project. We recommend using 4-5 mm knitting needles or crochet hooks to craft beautiful fashion items, accessories, baby clothes and more.
Note: Hoooked Somen is sold in individual skeins of 180.5 yards/165 meters (3.5oz/100 grams), so make sure to select enough for your project! If you are looking for ideas on what to make with Somen, take a look at the Somen pattern collection!
This yarn is the first Hoooked yarn that does not have its origin in recycling. Although it is not a recycled yarn, this yarn is very sustainable. The idea for this yarn originated during a trip to Brazil. Here they discovered that Brazilian jute is grown in the Amazonian rainforest and cultivated by small farmers, united in a cooperation. The main purpose of this cultivation is to make jute bags for transporting coffee beans. Hoooked wanted to use this beautiful natural fiber for their yarn!
This fair-trade jute is produced by a BCS certified, sustainable operating family business in Brazil. This Jute is produced while leaving the forest and natural vegetation intact, no logging is need. Jute is a sturdy 100% vegetable fiber and offers a wide range of crafty possibilities for indoor and outdoor projects, such as macramé plant hangers and crochet wall hangers. Its natural properties ensure a fully biodegradable final product. The Jute collection comes from the Amazons and is available in a range of six toxic-free (non-Azo) pastel colors.
Hoooked natural jute yarn is quite sturdy and is therefore suitable for rustic creations such as rugs and crochet baskets. Are you looking for a free pattern with jute? Then check out this free pattern for a crochet rug!
Crochet Pattern for a Jute Rug
What materials do you need?
- 3 Skeins of Hoooked Natural Jute Vanilla Cream (620408)
- ½ Skein of Hoooked Natural Jute Serenity Mint (620403)
- Crochet hook US 15-17 (10-12 mm)
- This floor mat is 25x19 inches (64x50cm)
- Chain 30 (25in/64cm)
- R1: Crochet 1 sc in the 2nd stitch (counted from the hook), crochet 1 sc in every stitch, chain and turn the work.
- R2-27: Crochet 1 sc in every stitch.
- Your work should be end up being 25"x20" (64x50cm).
Finish with Fringes
- Cut the Serenity Mint Jute yarn in 81 strands of approx. 4"-4.75" (10-12 cm).
- Fold them in thirds, fold and pull the loop through the crochet work and tighten. This way you create a nice finishing with fringes (see image).
Tip: Comb the fringes with a pet brush to make them extra fluffy.